Case Study - Miami University Baseball
Industry - Sports
Technology - Power BI
The Miami Redhawks are a NCAA Division I baseball team from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The team is a member of the Mid-American Conference East Division. Miami's first baseball team was fielded in 1915. The Redhawks are coached by Dan Hayden.
The Redhawks were looking for a competitive advantage using analytics with baseball statistics. This need stemmed from daa becoming the newest craze in sports. Data analytics in sports has been popular at the professional level, but not as widespread among amateur atheltics. There's an enormous amounts of data provided in sports with many varying statistics for each player, and many players per team in baseball.
Miami Baseball wanted to be at the forefront of amateur data analytics in the athletic field. The focus area where many issues where seen was pitching, specifically with pitch type, pitch speed, and pitch location.
Vizion's Solution for Client Success
Vizion implemented their Vizion360® Impact Analytics which included Microsoft Power BI as the front end visualization tool. This provided Miami baseball with a very detailed data at a team level and at an individual player level. It included in-depth pitching statistics, batting statistics and overall team performance statistics. Studying this data allows them to better understand how they perform during unique situations in different games with different opponents.
It also allows them to better analyze their players production, help coaches confirm or deny any assumptions about their players and provide insight that normal statistics aren't capable of doing. Microsoft Power BI allows them to do this using custom visualizations instead of spreadsheets and cut-and-paste reporting.
- Vizion360® Impact Analytics made the coaches more aware that there can be statistics used in their decision making.
- The coaches data was readily available to them and saved them time because they could analyze their statistics at any time on any device, including mobile.
- They were able to analyze pitch type, pitch speed and pitch by location.
- They were able to slice and dice by anything (i.e. how many outs, lefty vs. righty pitcher).
- Eliminated manual statistics and automated processes allowing them to have access to stats they wanted and when they wanted them.
- Before Vizion came along they were making a lot of decisions based off of their gut, now they have the facts from their data. They can check the reports to confirm or deny assumptions and to gain new perspectives from analyzation of visual, high-level reports.
As your partner, we can help!
We turn your company-wide data into actionable insights that can take your organization from good to industry leading!
Vizion's Solutions will...
- Grow the Top Line
- Improve Profitability
- Increase Productivity
- Manage Risk
Vizion Solutions is not just a vendor, we are your full-service BI solutions partner, assisting through all stages of the BI process from exploration to development, deployment, training, ongoing support and ultimately your continued success.